This land was a part of Middletown lying on the east side of the Connecticut River. In 1676, it was included in the land on the east side that was set off as the town of Chatham. In May 1841, the separate town of Portland was incorporated. Town vital records begin 1841. Barbour collection records cover 1841-1850.
Other City Names (1)
Settled From (2)
Know as Chatham until 1841
Founding Families (0)
No Data Available.
On Fred C. Cornwell Estate, north part of town
Near Swedish Cemetery
At Quarry's, they were moved to Trinity Church Cemetery